Electronic invoicing has become very important in the modernization of European health systems. Electronic Invoicing is part of the eProcurement lifecycle and acts as a precursor in the automation and optimisation of procurement processes. Its widespread use is the result of several factors: European initiatives and programs that support the deployment of these technologies, the emergence of regulations such as the European Directive 2014/55/EU and other national ones aligned with it, the acknowledgement of improvement of accounting procedures, the improvement of hardware and software technologies, among other factors. However, among all the positive effects produced by electronic invoicing, it is worth mentioning the possibilities offered using a European standard format, which will facilitate relations and transparency between public administrations and providers throughout Europe.
According to the CEF program, the following are the benefits of electronic invoicing from Data collected via online questionnaire (Q25. What are the main benefits brought by the implementation of the invoicing Directive to contracting authorities in your country?) completed by national representatives of elevenEU Member States (Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Sweden):
1. Reduction of costs and operational savings. (i.e., cost of paper, mailing costs)
2. Reduction of administrative burden.
3. Reduction of processing errors.
4. Reduction of environmental impact. (eliminating paper usage)
5. Reduction of time-to-payment (or payment terms Faster payment processes toward suppliers.)
6. Manual handling when sending or receiving.
7. Review and approval of invoices.
8. Entry of data into ERP systems.
9. Accounting key assignment.
10. Balancing (reduced error in data entry).
11. Enhanced payment monitoring and procurement automation ( Archiving, handling, and storage.).
14. Ensure the right authentication of the business and, in general, of security.
For further info:
The content of this publication is the sole responsibility of UPV and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the European Union.